Fantasy Drafts

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"Songs" Draft - Results

7:13 PM
The gang picked songs today, with some special caveats:
1. Post-1920.
2. No musical theatre (including opera).
3. Songs must have words.
4. Once a song is picked, the artist performing it (specified in the pick) is "locked out," i.e. can't be picked again.

So it ended up being somewhat of a combination draft between artists and songs. Six participated. This one went 10 rounds. Same disclaimer holds ("let us know what you think" ... "we don't care what you think").

The results:

Round 1:
Chris: Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Sydney: A Day In The Life - The Beatles
Bryan: All I Want for Christmas - Mariah Carey
Adam: Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
Albert: My Generation - The Who
Sarah: River - Joni Mitchell

Round 2:
Sarah: Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes - Paul Simon
Albert: Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
Adam: Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
Bryan: For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
Sydney: All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Chris: (Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

Round 3:
Chris: The Weight - The Band
Sydney: Paranoid Android - Radiohead
Bryan: Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
Adam: Imagine - John Lennon
Albert: Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
Sarah: My Girl - The Temptations

Round 4:
Sarah: Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Albert: Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
Adam: Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
Bryan: Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel
Sydney: Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
Chris: Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

Round 5:
Chris: Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
Sydney: Say It Ain't So - Weezer
Bryan: Toxic - Britney Spears
Adam: London Calling - The Clash
Albert: Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Sarah: Passionate Kisses - Lucinda Williams

Round 6:
Sarah: Nightswimming - R.E.M.
Albert: Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) - Pink Floyd
Adam: Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Bryan: Hit Em Up - 2Pac
Sydney: White Room - Cream
Chris: Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles

Round 7:
Chris: Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
Sydney: Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Bryan: Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Adam: Layla - Derek and the Dominos
Albert: Friend of the Devil - The Grateful Dead
Sarah: Eli's Coming - Laura Nyro

Round 8:
Sarah: Independence Day - Elliott Smith
Albert: The Thrill Is Gone - B.B. King
Adam: Love and Happiness - Al Green
Bryan: The Way I Am - Eminem
Sydney: Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Chris: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown

Round 9:
Chris: Tiny Dancer - Elton John
Sydney: How Soon Is Now - The Smiths
Bryan: Big Poppa - Notorious B.I.G.
Adam: Crazy - Patsy Cline
Albert: Light My Fire - The Doors
Sarah: 6'1" - Liz Phair

Round 10:
Sarah: Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
Albert: No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley
Adam: This Land Is Your Land - Woody Guthrie
Bryan: My Way - Frank Sinatra
Sydney: Thriller - Michael Jackson
Chris: Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

23 Comments:

Blogger josh Mueller said...

If you look just at the artists...Sydney wins. No question about.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

while Sydney did an admirable job, and definitely picked some great songs/artists, i dont think she is hands down the best:

for my money i'd rather have the who, the rolling stones, johnny cash, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, B.B. King, The Doors, and oh Bob Marley...i mean who are the smiths? peter gabriel over the grateful dead or BB King? Weezer over The Clash, Pink Floyd, Ray Charles, etc? Radiohead over the aformentioned plus JOhnny Cash, Bruce, U2, Elvis?

I think sydney probably did second best, but i again ask who are the smiths?

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a look at the songs Sydney drafted. I think she could have showed a smidgeon more creativity there.

Did "The Smiths" really record one of the top 60 songs of ALL-TIME? I think not.

There are no Wall of Sound songs up here, either.

11:25 PM  
Blogger josh Mueller said...

This post has officially contribted to me wasting a whole hour.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Josh. If it makes you feel any better, reading that took me 15 minutes. A standup comedians draft would be phenomenal. So many great first rounders.

R.I.P. - Richard Pryor; Mitch Hedberg

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the selections of a pair of trite and overrated songs that are a staple of a majority of playlists for college sophomores everywhere in rounds 6 and 10, I have to hand it to Albert for having a fine, strong draft... Sydney also did well and scores a strong second...

Nevertheless, as Josh and I agreed, the absence of Prince in the draft was shocking... No Eagles, Madonna or Bowie also might raise an eyebrow, even if they're understandable omissions...

9:28 AM  
Blogger Selfish Country Music Loving Lady said...

As I already whinily mentioned over email, because I am a harpy and a shrew, the majority of participants here had all-male drafts. Tsk tsk.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct me if I’m wrong but there were only 9 different female artists in the top 60 rock songs of all time as compounded by rolling stone and mtv. You keep talking about this damn issue, and try to blame people for what they like, frankly it is widespread and you are annoying.

It is an absolute fact that throughout the history of the world there have been far more impressive male performers than female (for whatever reasons, that doesn’t make it not fact). I don’t know why you are continually shocked by the otucome of drafts that follow this trend. When we did a presidents draft there were no women taken, none. For fuck’s sake, I don’t know the reason, but I generally prefer male artists, and so do, like the majority of the world. You want me to take a less impressive female artist (umm Laura Nyro) just because she is female? I thought we were drafting on merit not on gender.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I counted only 6 in Rolling Stone's top 100 (with the Mama's and the Papa's and Tina Turner each counting as .5)... Just Sayin'

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was being generous...

11:08 AM  
Blogger josh Mueller said...

Why does everyone hate the smiths so much?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Selfish Country Music Loving Lady said...

I love laura nyro. great song, that.

I'm not annoying, YOU'RE annoying! ohhhhh

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done all...except (ahem) Bryan. "All I Want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey in the first round? That song triggers my gag reflex. By the looks of your other picks (Stevie Wonder being the obvious exception, though I would have gone with the timeless "Superstition"), I can only assume you were trying to be "the funny one" in this draft.
As a rabid Pink Floyd fan, I wholeheartedly disagree with Albert's choice of "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" (in the 6th round, no less!!) as a draft choice. That's what my local generic-as-Wonder-Bread classic rock station plays as their Pink Floyd standby. In the eternal word of Eric Cartman,"LAME." I would have gone with almost anything from Meddle, "Echoes" and "Have a Cigar" being the top picks there, or even that wicked live version of "Comfortably Numb."
Congratualtions go to Adam, my overall winner, for his smashing draft selections. If this were a song AND artist draft, I would have to say that Derek and the Dominoes might have been a misstep, but as it is a SONGS draft, this is a moot point. Their version of "Layla" wins out over Clapton's. And cheers for the total steal in Round 5 with The Clash's "London Calling," though I would have liked to see you continue the punk theme by pairing it with a selection from the Pixies in another round. "Ed Is Dead," perhaps?
Sydney, your Radiohead selection reminds me...I scored BIG TIME when I had to rent a car two weeks ago for business and found that a previous renter had left a mix CD of fairly rare Radiohead "B-side" recordings in the CD player. Since it was such a marvelously divine windfall, I can only assume that it must be copied and passed along to Radiohead fans around the world...or at least general area. I'll burn you a copy.
And Sarah, being female myself, initially I agreed with your outrage at the lack of female artists in the draft. Then I had to suffer though "WomanWaves," a travesty of a radio program aired on what is usually a fantastic eclectic radio station. The program consists of an hour of crap variations on the theme of "I'm a strong/independent/sexy/free-minded woman," done by whiny female artists. After that, I remebered why I don't generally gravitate towards female artists. To any female musicians reading this: Get over the "I am Woman" theme. We don't hear male artists singing odes to their penises all the time. Time for some new material.
Oh, I've said too much. Happy drafting all.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


>The Smiths
were a slightly influential band, paving the way for the indie genre in some respects. You have definitely heard songs by them. Also, in my opinion, Morrisey has one of the best male voices in rock/pop/indie.

In other news, my new best friend is named Josh Mueller.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

giffin, great comment. also, for the sake of full disclosure, Adam talked me out of London Calling in round 3, only to take it before my next pick in round 5.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gifin -- this wasnt take the cool obscure song that people dont know draft. I am perhaps one of the biggest Pink Floyd fans there are, maybe i am a more mainstream fan but their best albums to me were Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, their best songs: money, comfortably numb, shine on you crazy diamond, and another brick in the wall (part two). It was their biggest hit. And how about giving me credit for taking them, not for taking them late...

am i the only one in the world that doesnt like Radiohead?

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate myself

12:23 AM  
Blogger Selfish Country Music Loving Lady said...

Actually, I was going more for "songs I really like" than "songs that are really 'important'". No rules! Fantasy drafts anarchy forever!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, interesting draft. i just got back to boston from driving to chicago, so you must believe that this is a fair amount for me to digest. as for the never ending smiths debate, sydney, if you're going for forefathers to the current indie movement, i think the pixies would have been a better selection than the smiths. personally i would have taken neutral milk hotel. but thats just me.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Smiths are probably the best alternative rock band to come out of the 80's.

And by the way, I'm really surprised Solsbury Hill went as late as the 7th round.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, let's all be cool and pick My Bloody Valentine while we're at it.

Whoooo! I'm a shoegazer!!!! Can't you see me gazing??? At my shoes???

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon now..."Echoes" and "Have a Cigar" aren't obscure songs! And the live version of "Comfortably Numb" isn't obscure at all. It's just another version, which I happen to like better than the album cut.
However, I realize that I did neglect to praise you, Albert, for drafting Pink Floyd in the first place. Good boy, Albert. I've sent your cookie via UPS for holiday delivery.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home